Grill and Greens. A classic favourite.
I forgot how much fun working with Phyllo pastry was. A while ago I found this recipe, while looking at Martha Stewart online, and thought it looked so delicious! So I set out and bought the ingredients for them.
Sadly I didn’t get to making them right away and part of the ingredients turned. A second attempt and I finally got to making them today. I omitted the egg yolks, merely because I didn’t have enough and didn’t think they’d keep that well if I didn’t get to them all right away, which I’m sure I won’t.
But wow! Delicious they are! The creaminess of the ricotta, with the sharpness of the feta, combined with the buttery phyllo and yummy spinach, equals pure win.
The best part? They not only taste good, but they’re beautiful to look at. Don’t you think?
We’ve I’ve been planning Twi-Whore’s 30th birthday party since, near the end of October. On Saturday, everything finally came to fruition.
We had decided on a funeral theme, and mourn the loss of her 20’s. We had tombstones and skull gates, a silhouette graveyard cake, and lots of black paper lanterns to help with the theme. I hung a wall full of black and white streamers and made a ton of tissue paper flowers and balls to make it pretty.
There were goodie bags filled with tea and Hershey Kisses, and photos of the birthday girl scattered about the room. Food included what I call “shitty funeral food”, like tuna and egg salad sandwiches, and veggie trays. We also had some hors d’oeuvres, some dips, a baked brie, and veggie wraps, as well as the best lemonade ever.
We had about 10-13 people attend, and two eulogies were delivered. The first, written by my husband, was given by his father, Twi-Whore’s uncle. It was super funny and said a lot about our relationship. The second, was given by her friend, and was about “The 20 Something Twi-Whore.” It was great to hear about her, outside of what I know, and family situations.
We visited and ate and drank, well into the night. It was a fantastic evening, with lots of laughs, and good conversation. Here’s to you Twi-Whore, I hope you had a fabulous time and a wonderful birthday!
Welcome to this week’s Friday 5, Condiments.
- What’s something that demands ketchup? Eggs
- What’s the best thing to do with the leftover packets of cheese and red-pepper flakes you get with pizza delivery? Throw the pepper flakes out and use the cheese on anything else.
- What’s something (besides salad) that’s good with salad dressing? Chicken
- What’s a condiment you’re especially brand-loyal to? Mayonnaise and Ketchup
- What’s the weirdest use of condiments you’ve seen by other people? Steve puts sour cream, ketchup and hot sauce on his hash browns and eggs at the same time. It’s disgusting.
Thanks for participating, and mayo weekend be experienced with relish!
- Having my curtains hung again. Never buy shitty curtain rods from Walmart.
- Slowly putting up my Christmas stuff.
- Having two laptops.
- Surprise food from Melma.
- The Black Keys.
- Taking Gravol and finally sleeping past 5.
- Changing the house around just a little bit.
Welcome to this weeks Friday 5, Spoilers.
- Has anyone ever spoiled a book/movie/etc. for you? Definitely.
- Have you ever spoiled a book/movie/etc. for anyone? Probably at some point, though I try not to.
- Are you (or were you) spoiled as a child? Definitely not!
- Do you put spoiler cuts when you discuss books/film in your journal? Not often, and I generally label them spoilers.
- Is there any food spoiling in your kitchen right now? Yep, and Steve is throwing it out as I type.
This week’s Friday 5 isn’t up yet so I dug into their archives and found a different one about colors.
- When you were a kid, which crayon in your box was the most worn-down? Black, Dandelion yellow, or Peach.
- What color looks best on you? It varies I suppose on my skin tone. I love bright colors in the summer against a tan.
- You know how paint colors always have weird names like “dusk” or “morning haze?” What name for a color would be most appropriate for your bedroom? (forget about the color itself; just focus on its name, and feel free to make a name up!) Afternoon Delight.
- What food grosses you out just by its color? Tofu. Really anything beige is not very appealing.
- What’s something in your life that just isn’t colorful enough? My photography. I’d really like to start focusing on colors more exclusively.